Home is a place meant for relaxation, a place where you unwind after a hard day’s work. It is the place where you have fun and enjoy each other’s company. So while designing a home or remodeling a home the mood and style of a home should be kept central. This article will guide you and give you tips on cheap home improvement projects.
Not all home improvement projects need to burn a hole in your pocket. There are many simple, easy and inexpensive ways to design your home. You need not always hire an architect or an interior designer for the job.
But before you get-set to start on your home improvement project analyze for what purpose you want to redesign it. Is it just to change the look? Or is it for resale or just to upgrade the house? Based on the motive, plan it before itself. Break down each activity in to steps and write down all the nitty-gritty’s of each step.
Here are some general tips on remodeling your home.
- First and foremost you can go for the green look. You can buy potted indoor plants for the living room, kitchen etc. Plants give you the fresh and aesthetic look to your room. You can also go for synthetic plants.
- Next you can paint the place if you feel up to it. Bright, vibrant colors can change the mood of the room in a second.
- If painting is too much for you then try giving the furniture a facelift. Buy new cushions, slip in new wraps and covers on your sofa and seats. This will give your room a colorful look.
- Buy new curtains or wash the old curtains. Clean the carpets and rugs with shampoo. Spray the air-freshener in your room. You will be surprised to see the new shiny look your room gets.
- Buy wall hangings, murals, paintings, statues etc. You can also put your favorite photos in in-expensive photo frames and hang them. Change the door knob. Add brass or mud pots in to the room. All this will give a traditional appeal to your room.
- You can also add flowers and scented candles in the room for the glowing look.
- Lighten up your room. Bring new light shades. They are available in various styles and colors.
- Create a focal point in your room and emphasize it. For example if you have a beautiful statue or an antique piece you can make it the focus of your room. This can be done by directing light on them.
- You can light up your walkways and entrance of your house.
- Check out the home improvement stores, magazines, T.V shows and other people’s homes for ideas.
- You can also design your rooms keeping a theme in mind. For example if comfort is the main priority of your living room go for comfortable sofa sets. Have book shelves in the living room so that you can comfortably lounge on the sofa with a book. Go for large coffee tables depending on the size of the room. Create soothing effects with lights etc. If you wish you can select other themes like garden style living room, airy living room or modern style rooms.
- A dining room is a place to eat. So you should have comfortable chairs and cushions. Change the table cloth to a colorful one. It should indicate comfort and conversation. You could also side by side have a bar.
- Similarly the bedroom is a place for relaxation. You could go for soothing wallpapers. You should choose linens which appeal to your touch and vision. Do not hang too many pictures and clutter the walls. Have a central wall piece or a painting. Here too you could go for classic or modern look.
- The kitchen could be livened up with cabinets, wooden shelves, glass back splashes and granite counter tops. The bathroom could do with mirrors or shower curtains or medicine cabinets.
Whatever may be your theme let your imagination run wild. Tweaking the popular adage a bit after all heart is where the home is.